2016 Gilpin Gourmet Contest
- Food entries: due Saturday, August 20, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the Community Center. Judging will be open Sunday, August 21, 2016 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. to the public. The first 50 people paying the tasting fee of $5 will be allowed to taste, judge and vote on the entries. (Tasting fees will be donated to the Gilpin County Food Bank.) Cooking participants will not be allowed to vote. Awards will be given on Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. under the Tent.
- Beverage entries: accepted starting Monday, August 15, 2016 and are due by Wednesday, August17, 2016 at 4:00 p.m. in the Exhibit Barn. Judging will be closed to the public and will occur on Thursday, August 18, 2016. Awards will be given on Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. under the Tent.
- Multiple entries per category are allowed and a contestant may enter every category if they wish. Only 1 cook per entry is allowed. Entries may be limited by the Contest Superintendent.
Age groups include:
- Youth (ages 5-13)
- Adult (ages 14 & over)
- Baked Foods (Breads/Rolls, Desserts, Candy)
- Preserved Foods (Jerky, Jams/Jellies, Pickled).
- Home-Brewed Beverages (Light Beer, Dark Beer)- Adults only, maximum of 5 entries total
If you use non-disposable bake/cookware, please retrieve it at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, August 21.
- All entries must display a label with the following:
- Baking, Candy: contestant name, date made, all ingredients
- Jams/Jellies, Jerky, Pickled: contestant name, date processed, time processed, ingredients (Please see the guidelines specific to that division- Gilpin Gourmet Contest Rules)
- Home-Brewed Beer: contestant name, date bottled, ingredients, type of beer
- No entry may contain marijuana, illegal substances or any other harmful substances. This is to protect all tasters.
- Any entry not prepared properly or not following any of the stated rules may be disqualified at the Superintendent’s discretion.
- Judges should base their score on the following criteria:
Originality of Recipe
- Is it an original recipe or an adaptation of a store-bought mix?
- Is it unusual? More points will be given for unusual or original recipes.
Appearance of Entry
- Is it appealing to the eye?
- Is it well-made? No cracks or burned areas?
- Is it the right color for the item?
- Does it cut nicely or disintegrate?
Taste of Entry – judged by public judges (except for alcoholic beverages)
- Is texture pleasant?
- Does it taste good?
- Does it have the flavor it is supposed to have? i.e. banana bread tastes like bananas; do the chocolate chip cookies have ample chips in them?
- Any faults such as too sweet or too salty?
- Score the Entry.
- Scoring is from 1 (Bad) to 9 (Excellent) with 5 being average.
- Scoring will be done on a score sheet with 27 total possible points.
- All scores will be compiled with the highest scores in each category receiving the awards.
- Determine Grand Champion in Baked Foods, Preserved Foods and Home-Brewed Beverages and 1st place to 3rd place winners in each categories.
Thank you to Gilpin Gourmet Contest Superintendent, Linda!