Gilpin Gourmet Contest Rules
2019 Tentative rules
- Dates & Times:
- Beer entries– accepted Monday, July 8 through Thursday, July 11 from 8:00am-4:00pm in the Exhibit Barn. (If not able to make the above times, please contact the Fair Office to make other arrangements.)
- Food entries– accepted Saturday, July 13 from
- 12:00noon to 3:00pm in the Community Center.
- Awards & Auction– Awards will be presented and the food auctioned on Sunday, July 14 at 1:00pm on the Stage.
- Multiple entries per category are allowed and a contestant may enter every category if they wish. Only 1 cook per entry is allowed. Entries may be limited by the Contest Superintendent.
Age groups include:
- Youth (ages 5-17)
- Adult (ages 18 & over)
- Baked Foods (Breads/Rolls, Desserts)
- Preserved Foods (Jams/Jellies, other preserved).
- Home-Brewed Beverages (Light Beer, Dark Beer)- Adults only
- Other Foods (any other prepared food including ice cream, candy, etc.)
All food and drink should be entered on/in disposable bake/cookware.
- All entries must display a label with the following:
- Baked Foods: contestant name, date made, all ingredients
- Preserved Foods: contestant name, date processed, time processed, ingredients
- Other: contestant name, date made, all ingredients
- Home-Brewed Beer: contestant name, date bottled, ingredients, type of beer
- No entry may contain marijuana, illegal substances or any other harmful substances. This is to protect all consumers.
- Any entry not prepared properly or not following any of the stated rules may be disqualified at the Gilpin County Fair’s discretion.
- Gilpin County Fair management does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, or other non-merit aspects.
- Food judges should base their score on the following criteria:
- Originality of Recipe
- Appearance of Entry
- Taste of Entry
- Beverage judges should base their score on the following criteria:
- Overall impression
- Score the Entry.
- Scoring is from 1 (Bad) to 10 (Excellent) with 5 being average.
- Scoring will be done on a score sheet with 30 total possible points for food entries and 50 points possible for beverage entries.
- All scores will be compiled with the highest scores in each category receiving the awards.
- Determine Grand Champion in Baked Foods, Preserved Foods, Other Foods and Home-Brewed Beverages and 1st place to 3rd place winners in each category.