2017 Singles Horseshoe Competition
- Date/ Time: The competition will take place on Sunday, August 20, 2017 in the Contests Area at the Gilpin County Fairgrounds. Registration beginning at 10:00 a.m. with the Competition beginning at 11:00 a.m.
- Age: Participants must be 16 years of age or older.
- Equipment: The Gilpin County Fair will supply all supplies for the competition. Competitors may bring their own set of horseshoes.
- Liability: All participants are required to sign a liability waver on the day of the competition.
- Restrictions: Contestants must not be under the influence of alcohol before or during the competition. Contestants in violation of this policy will be immediately disqualified from the competition.
- Awards: First place winner will receive a prize and their name on a trophy. Second place winner will receive a prize.
Practice and Competition Rules
- Sign-up: All persons who wish to practice or compete must sign-up and must meet the above criteria.
- Competition Overview: The competition will be run in a bracket manner where the winner of each round will advance to the next round-single elimination.
- Game Rules:
- A coin toss by the referee will determine the person with the first pitch. The coin toss winner will have the choice of first or second pitch.
- When pitching, the player must deliver the shoes within 30 seconds (unless the referee determines an exception). Additionally, the person pitching must keep both feet within the box.
- In Round 1 and Round 2, contestants will play to 21 points. In Round 3 (to determine the Champion), contestants will play to 40 points. Winners of Round 1 will advance to Round 2 and winners of Round 2 will advance to Round 3.
- Games must be won by 2 or more points. If the minimum number of points has been reached for the round, the game will continue until the contestant’s points are at least 2 points different.
- Game Scoring: The game will be scored with cancellation scoring.
- Ringers: Ringers will receive 3 points, unless opposing contestants have both scored a ringer in which case neither contestant scores points.
- Points: The closest shoe within 6” of the stake and not a ringer will receive 1 point if there are no ringers or ringers have been cancelled. Leaners equal 1 point.
Thank you to Horseshoes Contest Superintendent, Howard!