2019 Singles Horseshoe Competition
- Date/ Time: The competition will take place on Sunday, July 14, 2019 in the Contests Area at the Gilpin County Fairgrounds. Registration beginning at 9:00 a.m. with the Competition beginning at 9:30 a.m.
- Age: Participants must be 16 years of age or older.
- Equipment: The Gilpin County Fair will supply all supplies for the competition. Competitors may bring their own set of horseshoes.
- Liability: All participants are required to sign a liability waver on the day of the competition.
- Restrictions: Contestants must not be under the influence of alcohol before or during the competition. Contestants in violation of this policy will be immediately disqualified from the competition.
- Awards: First place winner in each division will receive a prize and their name on the Champions Plaque. Second place winner will receive a prize.
- The Gilpin County Fair reserves the right to combine divisions or classes that, in its judgement, the entries are insufficient to secure adequate competition.
- Gilpin County Fair management does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, or other non-merit aspects.
Practice and Competition Rules
- Sign-up: All persons who wish to practice or compete must sign-up and must meet the above criteria.
- Divisions: There will be 2 divisions: Men’s and Women’s. Each division will consist of 4, 8 or16 players.
- Competition Overview: The competition will be run in a bracket manner where the winner of each round will advance to the next round-single elimination.
- Game Rules:
- Pitchers must be ready within 5 minutes of the previous round ending or they will forfeit the game.
- A coin toss by the referee will determine the person with the first pitch. The coin toss winner will have the choice of first or second pitch.
- When pitching, the player must deliver the shoes within 30 seconds (unless the referee determines an exception). Additionally, the person pitching must keep both feet within the box. Men will pitch from 40’. Women and seniors may pitch from 30’ or 40’.
- In Round 1 and Round 2, contestants will play to 21 points. In Round 3 (to determine the Champion), contestants will play to 40 points. Winners of Round 1 will advance to Round 2 and winners of Round 2 will advance to Round 3.
- Games must be won by 2 or more points. If the minimum number of points has been reached for the round, the game will continue until the contestant’s points are at least 2 points different.
- Game Scoring: The game will be scored with cancellation scoring.
- Ringers: Ringers will receive 3 points, unless opposing contestants have both scored a ringer in which case neither contestant scores points.
- Points: The closest shoe within 6” of the stake and not a ringer will receive 1 point if there are no ringers or ringers have been cancelled. Leaners equal 1 point.
Thank you to Horseshoes Contest Superintendent, Howard!