2019 Gilpin County Fair Log Splitting Competition
- Date/ Time: The practice session and competition will take place on Sunday, July 14, 2019 at the Gilpin County Fairgrounds. The qualifying sessions and sign-up will begin at 10:00 a.m. The Log Splitting finals will begin at 2:30 p.m.
- Age: Participants must be 16 years of age or older.
- Equipment: The Gilpin County Fair will provide all supplies for the competition. Participants must wear protective eye wear and protective foot wear (provided by the Fair).
- Liability: All participants are required to sign a liability waver on the day of the competition. Once the liability waver has been signed, participants will receive a wristband. Participants must have a wristband to enter the practice or competition.
- Restrictions: Contestants must not be under the influence of alcohol before or during the competition. Contestants in violation of this policy will be immediately disqualified from the competition and will not be allowed to compete.
- Divisions: General Log Splitting and Women’s Log Splitting.
- Awards: First place winner in each division will receive a prize and their name on the Champions Plaque. Second and third place winners will receive a prize.
- The Gilpin County Fair reserves the right to combine divisions or classes that, in its judgement, the entries are insufficient to secure adequate competition.
- Gilpin County Fair management does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, or other non-merit aspects.
Practice and Competition Rules
- Sign-up: All persons who wish to practice or compete must sign-up and must meet the above criteria.
- Division Rules: Anyone 16 years of age and older may enter in the General Log Splitting division. Women age 16 and older may enter in the Women’s Log Splitting division.
- Qualifying Competition Overview: A line-up sheet indicating the order of people to compete will be posted in the area. People who meet the criteria above and sign up, may compete for the competition. The four fastest contestants will advance to the final round.
- Final Competition Overview: The person to correctly split their logs in the shortest time in the final round will win the competition.
- Wood Size: Logs to be used in practice and the competition will be supplied by officials. Wood pieces will be approximately 16 inches in diameter and approximately 18 inches in length.
- Splitting Criteria: Each log must be split into 4 pieces. Competitors will indicate to the referee that all their logs have been quartered properly by raising their axe/ splitting maul in the air with both hands and shouting “done”. When all contestants have finished splitting, referees will verify that all logs were quartered properly. If not quartered properly, that contestant will not advance to the next round or win the competition.
Thank you to Log Splitting Contest Superintendents: Ken, Gigetta and Dante!